Sunday, October 21, 2007

Group #4 Poetry Ideas

Hey everybody, sorry I could not make it on Sunday, but here are some ideas I came up with.
I focused on slam poetry b/c our teacher recommended doing something along these lines...maybe just for one day or even 1/2 the day.

  • Discuss the goals of slam poetry...what is it all about?
  • Have everybody write a poem about something they are passionate about
  • Actually hold a slam poetry contest...not sure if there would be enough volunteers for this
  • Watch a video/demonstration of slam poetry
  • Read article or just make handouts for everybody on slam poetry....I know there is one called "Why Slam" but I cannot seem to find it.
  • There are some really good ideas at www.webenglishteacher.com/poetryslam.html

These are just some ideas to make this lesson a little different and more interesting than the "normal" poetry unit. I think if we combine a few different styles of poetry, it will really turn out good. Also, I really think we should start off the unit by composing a class poem....I think this would be a good way to get things rolling.

No comments: