Friday, September 21, 2007

Indy Teach Outline

The book I am doing my individual teaching on is titled, "After the End: Teaching and Learning Creative Revision."

Main Ideas:
  • Revision does not have to be the "traditional" task of editing and re-doing your writing
  • Revision can actually be fun and creative
  • I plan to teach new ways of using revision in the classroom, using the concepts from this text, and how we can apply them to our own classrooms.

Instuctional Interests:

  • First, I am going to introduce some news ways of doing revision in the classroom
  • Next, I would like to actually do some creative revision with some of our own work. This will give us a better idea of how to use these ideas in your classrooms.
  • I plan to take a few of the ideas and talk about them, since there will not be enough time to cover everything.

Possible Questions:

  • What is "revision?"
  • How can we use the ideas from the text to make revision fun, enjoyable, and helpful for our students?
  • How do you plan to use these ideas in your own classroom?

Activities:

  • Revise our own writing using some of these strategies the text suggests
  • Explore a few different strategies and see which ones we feel would work best in a secondary classroom.
  • Discuss the pros and cons of the different strategies

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Jen,

I think this is a good start. I like that you will be helping us to revise some of our own writing from the class. Most important is that we learn as teachers of English, the difference between editing and true revision. I think the questions you pose are appropriate and will sponsor a lot of creative thinking. In your outline you will want to give a more comprehensive idea of what the book is about, perhaps a breakdown of chapters, a few key quotes, etc.

I think it's great that we will be applying some of the revision techniques in the text into our own writing.

Good job so far. Looking forward to your teach!